Pictogram Freedom-seeker


Pictogram Freedom-seeker

CHercheur.euse de liberté

Pictogram Homeless person


Pictogram Asylum seeker


Pictogram Asylum seeker

Demandeur.euse.s de protection internationale

Pictogram Refugee


Pictogram Refugee


Pictogram Professional


Pictogram Professional



Resident permit (ID card A)

After getting international protection as recognized refugee or subsidiary protection and residence right, you can apply to receive your resident permit as an electronic ID card type ‘A’ during your residence in Belgium.

  • For recognized refugees: The ‘A’ ID card is valid for 5 years for recognized refugees which can be converted into an electronic B card after receiving the right to residence for unlimited time. 
  • For beneficiaries of subsidiary protection: The duration of ID card validity is one year for beneficiaries of subsidiary protection which is renewable after the first year and then after two years again. Five years after the asylum application, the subsidiary protection status holder receives an unlimited right to residence (B card), unless the CGRS would apply cessation or revocation of the status.

How to apply to get an ‘A’ ID card?

The person who received international protection as refugee should submit his/her request in municipality of residence region to receive the A card with following necessities:

  • The certificate of the CGRS
  • Recent standard photo (not more than 6 month)
  • An amount of 20 euros

For subsidiary protection beneficiaries, the Immigration Office itself gives instructions to the municipality to register the person and issues the residence permit, as an electronic A card.

Renew the ID card

Renewal of the residence card must be demanded at the municipality 30 – 45 days before its expiration date. 

Permanent residency

B Card

After your temporary residence for 5 years as a refugee or subsidiary protected person, starting on the day you applied for asylum, you will receive an electronic B-card. It is the proof of registration in the Register of foreign nationals for unlimited residence. 

Belgian nationality

If you obtain Belgian nationality, you will lose your refugee status. 

There are two procedures to obtain Belgian nationality:

1)  Declaration of nationality

The conditions to become a Belgian citizen through a declaration of nationality are too numerous to be listed here. You can apply for Belgian citizenship after your residence in Belgium for 5 years starting the day of submitting your asylum request.


  • Valid certificate of social orientation course
  • Valid certificate of languages course (French, Dutch or German level A2)
  • Certificate of working in Belgium for 468 days

If you have a Belgian spouse for 3 years or a Belgian child, you need to wait for 5 years as well. 

You make a declaration of nationality before the civil registrar at your municipal office. The registrar will give you the necessary information about the documents that are required.

You can ask the Helpdesk recognised refugees and stateless persons of the CGRS for the birth certificates and refugee certificates which are needed for your declaration of nationality.

2)  Naturalisation

  • To be at least 18 years old
  • To be in Belgium legally
  • To show ‘exceptional merits’ in science, sports or the sociocultural domain
  • To prove that it is hardly possible for you to obtain Belgian nationality through a declaration of nationality.

More information can be obtained from the municipal office of your place of residence. The Helpdesk recognised refugees and stateless persons of the CGRS issues the birth certificate needed for your application for naturalisation.

No items found.