Pictogram Freedom-seeker


Pictogram Freedom-seeker

CHercheur.euse de liberté

Pictogram Homeless person


Pictogram Asylum seeker


Pictogram Asylum seeker

Demandeur.euse.s de protection internationale

Pictogram Refugee


Pictogram Refugee


Pictogram Professional


Pictogram Professional



To work, study and contact people in Belgium, you need to learn the language. For newly arrived non-native speakers, depending on where you live in Belgium (Brussels, Wallonia (French-speaking region) or Flanders (Dutch-speaking region)) and as a part of your integration process, you may take French, Dutch or German language courses. Only, in a small part of the country in the province of Liège people speak German.

Assistance to find a language course

  • Social assistances working for CPAS/OCMW: You can ask CPAS/OCMW assistants to find a suitable language course. There is a department for education in CPAS/OCMW that will help you professionally. 
  • Social workers working in welcoming/integration centres: Depending where you live, there are some organisations in Brussels, Wallonia and Flanders who are helping newcomers to Belgium to be well integrated in the society. They have been called BAPA in Brussels, CRI in Wallonie and Inburgering in Flanders. You may ask them to find a language course for you based on your conditions. They normally offer free language courses managed by their own organisations. 

Financial support for language courses

  • CPAS: The Socio-Professional Integration Department department in CPAS/OCMW will fully cover your expenses for language courses including registration fee and book costs, if you are still receiving support from them.
  • Welcoming/integration centres: Some of the welcoming/integration centres such as Atlas in Antwerp and Bon in Brussels will cover your language courses expenses.

Language learning levels

There 3 level of language learning, whether you choose to learn French, Dutch or German:

  • A (Basic)
  • B (Independant)
  • C (Proficient)

No items found.