Pictogram Freedom-seeker


Pictogram Freedom-seeker

CHercheur.euse de liberté

Pictogram Homeless person


Pictogram Asylum seeker


Pictogram Asylum seeker

Demandeur.euse.s de protection internationale

Pictogram Refugee


Pictogram Refugee


Pictogram Professional


Pictogram Professional



If you have obtained a diploma/qualification in another country prior to your arrival in Belgium, you may ask for the recognition of this document in Belgium to enhance your chances of success on the job market or higher education. The recognition is done by different entities depending if you are residing in the French, Flemish or German-Speaking Community. An equivalence is a document that shows the value of the diploma you obtained abroad.

Diploma translation

You can choose between two procedures:

  • Equivalence of levels of study: it is checked which level of study in Belgium corresponds to your foreign diploma (bachelor, master or other level).
  • Equivalence of a specific diploma: it is checked whether the content of your course abroad has the same value as the same course in Belgium.

First, you need to have a certified translation of your diploma certificate in French or Dutch. You need to find a sworn translator and he/she will ask you to send a copy of your document. 

The translation of the diploma costs about €50 – 100. CPAS/OCMW will reimburse all the payments of education diploma’s translation if you are under their support. You may ask some integration or welcoming centres if they cover the expense of translation or not.  

The procedure for equivalence for a diploma costs between 150 and 200 euros. Foreign nationals who have received refugee status or subsidiary protection do not have to pay for the costs of the procedure.

Applying for the equivalence of educational diploma certificate if free of charge for international protection seeker, recognized refugee, and subsidiary protected person. Also, for people who receive a living wage from the CPAS/OCMW and jobseekers and are sent by the VDAB or ACTIRIS. 

Legalisation of the translation

You must take your translated diploma certificate to Bureau de legalisation (Boulevard de Waterloo 80, 1000 Brussels, tel: 02 552 28 56) between 9:00 and 16:00 and ask them for the legalisation. There they will give you a receipt and tell you when you come back and get the legalised translation. It is totally free of charge. They might ask people to come with an envelope with their own name so that they can send you back the translation by post based on new sanitary regulations.

Diploma recognition in French

To recognise your diploma in the French speaking region of Belgium, you need to request the 'equivalence' of your diploma from the Wallonia-Brussels Federation.

Before starting a procedure, we advise you to contact the Wallonia-Brussels Federation.

Diploma Recognition in Dutch

If you want to pursue your study at an educational institution in Flanders, NARIC Vlaanderen is responsible for recognition of a foreign diploma in Belgium. 

You may check whether you have to submit an application to NARIC or another agency: https://www.naricvlaanderen.be/nl/erkenning-aanvragen-bij-naric-of-andere-instantie and Choose a procedure from: https://www.naricvlaanderen.be/nl/niveau-erkenning-of-specifieke-erkenning and follow your status: https://app.akov.be/pls/pakov/f?p=250:LOGIN_DESKTOP::::::

Download application form from: https://www.naricvlaanderen.be/sites/default/files/atoms/files/infofichevluchtelingen-final.docx 

add all required documents such as copy of your proof of identity, your diploma, the overview of all courses followed with results and number of lessons per course, the official study program with a description of the content of the courses, thesis, curriculum vitae, internship certificates, the documents that demonstrate your relevant professional experience. Check which one you have to add in: https://www.naricvlaanderen.be/nl/een-dossier-indienen. Send the completed application form along with all required documents and wait for decision of NARIC.

Helpful organisations

You can also ask for help from following organisations for your diploma recognition:

  • Brussels: BAPA organisations (BAPA BXL, VIA, Convivial), Bon and Ciré
  • Wallonie: All welcoming new-commers centres (CRI)
  • Flanders: All the branches of Agentschap Integratie & Inburgering including Atlas and In Gent. 
No items found.