Created in October 2010 by six parent associations, the Benin Synergies Plus organisation was registered at the Cotonou prefecture on 11 November 2011 and was published in the official gazette on 1 August 2012. BESYP is a network of identity-based associations that develops concrete actions in the field of training, awareness raising, capacity building, advocacy, resource mobilisation and care for key populations. It is an active member of the international network AFRICAGAY AGAINST AIDS and has 846 members, including 14 identity-based associations.
BESYP memore harmonious, egalitarian and human rights-respecting society.
- pride in our ethnic, cultural, sexual, gender and religious diversity;
- commitment to equality for all, regardless of gender identity;
- commitment to the right to health for all without discrimination on the basis of age, gender or religion; commitment to respect, justice, equity and integrity, regardless of gender associations
Friends of the Voiceless (ASV); Espoir Vie Arc-en-ciel Bénin (EVAB); Alliance pour la Solidarité et pour l'Aide à la Jeunesse du Bénin (ASAJ); Adorable Club des Jeunes Solidaires de Porto-Novo (ACJSP); Madnice; Union pour la Solidarité pour l'Entraide et pour le Développement (USED)
Fly Together; New Life
Members in coaching
Entre Amis (EA); Au Féminin Synergie Plus (AFSP); Agir Contre l'Exclusion (ACE); Espoir Solidarité Plus (ESP)
Some of BESYP's activities
- Training of 60 EPs on the DINDJI project (ALCO/USAID)
- Training of 15 PEs on the project "HIV/AIDS prevention for key and vulnerable populations along the Abidjan-Lagos corridor
- Training of 32 EPs on the project "Scaling up universal access to HIV prevention, care and treatment and community-based support services (GDP/PSI)
- Training of 25 BESYP members in SRHR advocacy
- Formation of an advocacy and monitoring committee for the inclusion of key populations in the HIV programme at the level of town halls
- Training in support of associative responsibility "FARA" for members of the BESYP board and leaders of its member associations
- Training of BESYP members on GBV
- Coaching of BESYP affiliated associations for a good management of the associative life
- Organisation of educational talks, discussion groups, film evenings to raise awareness of STIs and HIV/AIDS
- Organisation of door-to-door sessions, Grins
- Deposition of prevention materials at hot spots (brothels, bars, etc.)
- Online awareness sessions on HIV and STIs
- Organisation of free, voluntary and coupled recreational screening evenings
- References for the management of STIs/HIV/AIDS.
BESYP Guiding Principles
- create a synergy of actions between the main community actors for the well-being, development, promotion and respect of the rights of key populations in Benin.
- As a key population actor, BESYP will be a reference in Benin in 2025 in the fields of capacity building and empowerment in order to achieve a mnd sexual identity;
- determination to provide quality and accessible health services to sexual minorities living in Benin;
- protection and promotion of fundamental human rights and freedoms, and human dignity;
- role of good governance in promoting human rights and social justice ;
- the need for people to participate actively in individual and social progress;
- Supporting Beninese society in bridging socio-economic gaps, and removing obstacles to the individual and social advancement of sexual minorities in Benin;
- This is the case for the irreducibility of human rights in the context of promoting the values of the human rights movement.
- inform and raise awareness about HIV/AIDS and STIs;
- to contribute to the psychological and medical care of people infected and affected by HIV/AIDS;
- to work for the awareness and training of young people in good life conduct;
- Work for entrepreneurship and professional integration of young people, in particular PLHIV;
- to promote and defend the rights of minorities;
- to ensure and promote cohesion and mutual support between the various members.